A Doctor's Prescription for Stress Relief
With Mary Pullig Schatz, M.D.
ISBN-13: 978-1930485228 | $13.95
|About the CD
Now hear this! In Relaxation Basics, Dr. Schatz, author of the best-selling Back Care Basics, returns with an audio program that uses progressive relaxation techniques as an aid in managing daily stress, as well as stress-related conditions and illnesses, such as:
In three guided sequences, she gently guides you in consciously relaxing your muscles and breath. Whether you are a beginner or have more experience, you can practice one or more sequences each day, lying on the floor or in bed. For comfort, you can lie on a folded blanket or quilt, support your head and neck with a folded bath towel, place a pillow under your knees, and cover up with a blanket if you get chilly.
- muscular tension
- chronic physical and emotional pain
- grief recovery
- recovery from surgery or injury
- high blood pressure
- tension headaches
- insomnia, jet lag, steroid therapy, and sleep cycle disturbances
- irritable bowel and other gastrointestinal disturbances
- chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia
- rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune disorders
- hormone imbalances and PMS
- electronic communication overload
Let your body and life direct you to what you need and when. Here are some suggestions to help you get started:
Brief Relaxation: instead of a coffee break, or before or after a stressful event, or whenever you need a time out
Heart and Lungs Relaxation: to transition from work to home, or ward off a full-blown or incipient anxiety or panic attack
Total Body Relaxation: to help you fall asleep or if you awaken during the night
Best of all, your relaxation skills will improve with repeated practice. You will become more efficient at making the switch from activity to relaxation. As you do, you will start off more relaxed and go deeper into relaxation.
You may notice improved:
Yoga teachers and students can look to this program to support to their practice, and physicians and other health care professionals will find it useful for their patients and clients. Readers of Back Care Basics can use it to complement chapter 5.
- immune response
- ability to think more clearly
- concentration and memory
- ability to fall asleep and sleep through the night
- sense of more control over how you respond to stressful situations
Set aside some time each day to relax with Dr. Schatz. Plain and simple, you will feel better.